Are you licensed to wed? These only-in-Savannah guidelines will help you make it official with ease.
Photography by Apartment B
The moment is here–you’re finally ready to apply for your marriage license! Unfortunately, you have to trot down to the ultra-glamorous Probate Court of Chatham County (133 Montgomery St., Room 509), but these important details will help make your trip quick and painless:
- Marriage licenses are issued between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- You must be at least 18 years old to apply without parental consent.
- If you’ve been married before, you’ll need to present to the court your divorce decree.
- All applicants must present a positive I.D. This can be either a driver’s license, a certified copy of a birth certificate, a military I.D., a passport, or a state I.D. card.
- Both the bride and the groom must be present at the same time in order to apply for the marriage license.
- The fee is $66, but you can reduce that fee to $26 if you have a notarized premarital education certificate.
- You can pay in credit card, debit card, cash (exact change), money order or cashier’s check. Personal checks are not accepted.
- There is no waiting period in Georgia; you will receive your license at the time you apply.
For additional questions regarding your marriage license call 912.652.7277 or click HERE >>